Intellectual Apostolate meeting held – 17 May 2019
On Friday 17th May 2019 a gathering of the Intellectual Apostolate of the Australian Province of the Society of Jesus was held in Parkville. It was the fourth gathering of the Intellectual Apostolate since 2016. The event was attended by twenty-four people; twenty Jesuits, and four Partners in Mission. The purpose of the event was for Jesuits and Partners in Mission to share their work, ideas, and reflections with the Intellectual Apostolate community.
The evening included the following presentations:
• Rev Dr Sacha Bermudez-Goldman SJ on the research from his recently completed PhD, which looked at ways to re-interpret the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises for displaced people
• Rev Dr Matthew Pinson SJ on his work with “self-folding origami” and its implications
• Rev Dr Chris Horvat SJ performed two of his compositions on piano accordion
• Dr Sarah Cook on the research from her PhD on the Gospels of Mark and Matthew
• Deborah Kent and Dr Micheál Loughnane gave an update on Jesuit College of Spirituality
All present also shared their current ministry and research, and there was roundtable discussion and reflection on how to realise the Province’s new Apostolic Priorities.
A very successful, invigorating and interesting evening.
Below are photos from the event.