The Master of Spiritual Direction enables students to acquire a deep and broad understanding of key themes and methodologies in spiritual direction and to integrate knowledge of the field.
Course Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Spiritual Direction are able to demonstrate:
- a critical and integrated understanding of theology and biblical studies as they apply to the ministry of spiritual direction;
- a critical awareness of issues pertaining to spiritual direction as a ministry in the church and advanced skills in the ministry of spiritual direction;
- creativity and initiative in integrating knowledge and skills of spiritual direction, and the capacity to apply them to new situations in ministry and/or further learning;
- the ability to communicate key ideas and apply problem-solving techniques at an advanced level in spiritual direction;
- the development of skills relevant to tertiary study in the humanities; to read, think, and interpret critically; to write coherently, with the ability to develop an argument drawing on a range of appropriate resources; to work cooperatively as part of a group; and to present information orally;
- skilled use of electronic databases, journals and other scholarly literature;
- the ability to plan and execute a substantial research essay, integrative essay, supervised project, or synthesis.
What is involved to complete the Master of Spiritual Direction?
The Master of Spiritual Direction consists of 288 points comprised of:
- 96 points of Foundational units in the discipline of Spiritual Direction
- 24 points of Foundational units in the discipline of Biblical Studies
- 24 points of Foundational units in the discipline of Systematic Theology or in the discipline of Church History
- 96 points of Elective or Praxis units in the disciplines of Spiritual Direction, Spirituality and Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- Either one Capstone unit of at least 24 points in Spiritual Direction or a Research Essay of 48 points
- Further Foundational, Elective, Praxis or Capstone units in the disciplines of Spiritual Direction and Spirituality.
Master of Spiritual Direction is open to any applicant who:
- has successfully completed an undergraduate degree or an approved equivalent.
FEES AND MORE INFORMATION
$2,640 per unit | More information about this award can be found on the University of Divinity website.
Australian citizens are eligible for FEE-HELP, the Australian Government’s student loans scheme
Field of Study