175 Royal Parade,Parkville,Victoria,Australia
KEY UNIT Key unit in the following awards: Graduate Diploma in Supervision; and Graduate Diploma in Spiritual Direction. An Elective unit which can be taken within the supervision, spirituality or spiritual direction pathways.
DS9061J is the face-to-face class
DS9069J is the online class (Online students will be able to view the lectures within 48 hours after each class with recordings available on ARK).
The relationship between practitioner and client, spiritual director and directee or supervisor and Supervisee takes place in an environment of trust, emotional intimacy and confidentiality. The Christian practitioner/spiritual director carries the responsibility of containing, caring and guiding the client/directee/supervisee with tools and skills, based on solid theory, empathy, love in a spirit of service, led by God’s Spirit .
The Relationship Psychodynamics Unit provides an experiential, safe, yet challenging, environment to learn:
(i) solid theoretical relational-psychological principles;
(ii) the neuro-biology of relationships;
(iii) practical and immediately applicable techniques;
(iv) techniques forreflecting on personal life experiences in the context of new knowledge; such knowledge is gleaned principally through deep engagement with Ignatian Spirituality and also through engagement with other traditions.
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that participants will be able to:
- describe and evaluate the neurobiology of the psychological process involved in the emergence of the self, and of non-conscious and conscious behaviour;
- demonstrate an informed and critical understanding of the self through role theory, and concepts of ‘true’ and ‘false’ self;
- illustrate and reflect on the following from personal experience: self and relational identity; personal experiential life events that made the person the “I am” of today; and, personal conversion and spiritual growth;
- explain and evaluate the role that culture, race, gender, ideology, and other potentially unconscious perspectives, play in contributing to interpersonal behaviour;
- analyse, compare and evaluate a number of personality theories.
Dr Carlos Raimundo
Session 1 – Friday 1st and Saturday 2nd March 2019 (9.00am-5.00pm)
Session 2 – Friday 5th and Saturday 6th April 2019 (9.00am-5.00pm)
Session 3 – Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th May 2018 (9.00am-5.00pm)
Jesuit College of Spirituality, 175 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3052
For academic credit $2,448
Not for academic credit $1,224
* = set texts recommended
** = relevant chapters will be available to enrolled students in ARK
Arnold, Magda B, and John A. Gasson. The Human Person: An Approach to an Integral Theory of Personality. Charlston, SC: Nabu Press, 2011.
** Buber, Martin. I and Thou. New York: Scribner, 1958.
** Castonguay, Louis Georges, and Clara E Hill. Insight In Psychotherapy. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2007.
** Damasio, A. Self Comes to Mind, Constructing the Conscious Brain.New York: Patheon Books. 2010
* De Chardin, P. T. The Phenomenon of Man. New York:HarperPerennial. 2008
Forshaw, Oliver. Personhood and Christianiy: in psychodynamic and corporate perspective. Cambridge: Lutterworth Press, 2010
** Fox, J., & Moreno, J. L. The essential Moreno : writings onpsychodrama, group method, and spontaneity. New York: Springer Pub. 1987.
** Frankl, V. E. Man’s search for meaning: An introduction toLogotherapy. New York: Simon & Schuster. 1984
Goldstein, E. Bruce. Cognitive Psychology. Australia: Wadsworth Cengage Learning, 2011.
** Hatch E., & Fairbairn, A. Influence of Greek ideas and Usegesupon the Christian Church. London: Williams and Norgate. 1890
Heschel, A. Man Is Not Alone : A Philosophy of Religion. NewYork: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. 1976
* Ivens, M. The Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola.London: Newton Printing. 2004
* Lonergan, Bernard. Method in Theology. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1971.
** Maturana, H. R., & J, V. F. The Tree of Knowledge The BiologicalRoots of Human Unerstanding. Boston: Sambhala. 1998
Meisner, William J. Foundations for a Psychology of Grace. Glen Rock, NJ:Paulist Press, 1966.
** Moreno, J. L. Who Shall Survive? Beacon NY: Beacon House. 1953
* Pagola, J. A. Jesus, An Historical Approximation. Miami: Convivious. 2011
Rahner, K. Spiritual Exercises. South Bend: St. Augustine’s Press. 2014
** Raimundo, C. A. Relationship Capital. Sydney: Prentice Hall. 2002
* Scroope , M. Ignatian Spirituality for Today: key readings for busy people. Pymble, NSW: Loyola Institute, 2011
Weiten, Wayne. Psychology. Belmont Calif.: Wadsworth Cengage Learning, 2014.
ASSOCIATE DEAN - SPIRITUAL DIRECTION AND SUPERVISION
Dr Carlos A Raimundo is a medical doctor, psychiatrist, PhD, MBA, Executive Coach and Trainer, Supervisor living in Australia. He is the creator of the 3D Simulation Technology, the Play of Life®; that revolutionised individual and team behavioural trans...