DS9101F | My Experience of the Spiritual Exercises
99 Studley Park Rd,Kew,Victoria,Australia
Unit Points 15 Points
Assessment Type 6000-word essay (weighting 100%)
This 5-day intensive will provide an in-depth study of the exercitant’s experience of the four “Weeks” of the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius. Because a director’s lived experience of the Spiritual Exercises is his or her main resource, the unit will also help the student to reflect on and deepen his or her experience of the retreat.
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- synthesise their lived experience of the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola;
- distinguish the different modes of the Exercises, namely the purgative or healing mode (The First Week), the illuminative mode (The Second Week), and the unitive mode (The Third and Fourth Weeks);
- articulate the graces received during the Spiritual Exercises;
- situate the experience of the Spiritual Exercises in the context of the student’s life journey;
- appraise the content of the Exercises from the perspective of other students in the class.
Participants will have made the full Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, either as a 30-day experience (the 20th Annotation retreat), or as a 35-week experience (the 19th Annotation retreat). Experience in directing retreats or in giving spiritual direction will not be required.
9:00am-5:00pm | Monday 23 – Friday 27 January 2017
Conference Room, Campion Centre of Ignatian Spirituality | 99 Studley Park Road, Kew, Victoria
Barry, W.A., Letting God Come Close: An Approach to the Spiritual Exercises, Chicago: Loyola University Press, 2001.
De Mello, A. Seek God Everywhere: Reflections on the Spiritual Exercies of Saint Ignatius, New York: Doubleday, 2010.
Coleman, G., Walking with Inigo: A Commentary on the Autobiography of St. Ignatius, Gujarat: Gujarat Sahitya Prakash, 2001.
Fleming, D.L., Draw Me into Your Friendship: The Spiritual Exercises, St. Louis: Institute of Jesuit Sources, 1996.
Ivens, M., Understanding the Spiritual Exercises, Surrey: Inigo Enterprises, 1998.
Tetlow, J., Choosing Christ in the World: Directing the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola, St. Louis: Institute of Jesuit Sources, 2000.
Tylenda, J., A Pilgrim’s Journey: The Autobiography of St. Ignatius Loyola, revised edn, San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2001.
Williams, M., The Gift of Spiritual Intimacy: Following the Spiritual Exeries of Saint Ignatius, Toronto: Novalis Publishing, 2009.
No team found.