Fullness of Life: Spirituality in Christian Tradition
29 College Crescent,Parkville,Victoria,Australia
Cross-Listing The unit is cross-listed Church History to Spirituality.
DS9351J / CH9351J are the face-to-face classes
This subject explores the quest for “fullness of life” in classic Christian spiritual writings. It sets the sources in the context of the writers’ own times in order to consider images of God, and corresponding understandings of holiness and faithful living, that have informed the Christian community. Discussion is focussed around “desert”, “cloister”, and “marketplace” as distinctive but related locations for and styles of Christian spirituality, each with Australian dimensions and implications. We will use the tools of social and cultural history to examine the interconnectedness of “spirituality” and “doctrine”, and to explore the methodological challenges of holding together “love” and “knowledge” as partners in a Christian understanding of “fullness of life”.
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Identify key writers and prevailing themes within a broad chronology of Christian spirituality;
- Set those key writers and themes in the context of the international literature on the history of spirituality;
- Draw appropriately on a range of historical sources to develop historical and theological arguments;
- Analyse and articulate the relationship between theological and spiritual concerns in the work of at least one writer in the Christian tradition;
- Analyse and articulate the relationship between theological and spiritual concerns in a sample of contemporary writing.
Associate Professor Katharine Massam
Every Wednesday in Semester 1
First class commences on 28th February 2018
2:00pm to 5:00pm, Wednesday during Semester 1
Centre for Theology and Ministry, 29 College Crescent, Parkville VIC 3052
For academic credit $2,400
Not for academic credit $1,200
|Cassian, John, and Boniface Ramsey. John Cassian, the Conferences. New York, NY: Paulist Press, 1997.
Cassian, John, and Boniface Ramsey. John Cassian, the Institutes. New York, NY: Newman Press, 2000.
Dreyer, Elizabeth and Mark Burrows. Minding the Spirit: The Study of Christian Spirituality. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005.
Haight, Roger. Spirituality Seeking Theology. Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books, 2014.
Mafi-Williams, Lorraine and Kinsie McDonald. Spirituality, Sydney Aboriginal Program Unit. Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 1989.
Sheldrake, Philip. Spirituality and Theology: Christian Living and the Doctrine of God. Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books, 1998.
Sheldrake, Philip. Spirituality: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.